13TH, 2001 PICTURES:
A couple from Germany who is taking a trip around the world is passing by the city. They are traveling on a Jeep specially designed for the trip; at the moment, the couple is waiting for new tires. The Jeep, received from the German army is from 1957, but it was equipped with a new motor and adapted for long trips; it has a water deposit, solar heating and a comfortable inside room. The trip will last several years. The couple has come from Terra do Fogo, Argentina, and is going “up” Brazil.
We wish them a very good trip through Brazil and other Latin and North American countries. And we greet their German friends, as well as the other friends they have left on the world ways. "Wiedersehen".
In this city, colonized by Portuguese, the Holy Week is celebrated with a lot of spirituality and emotion. It is one of the four oldest towns of the State. It occupied a vast area and gave origin to dozens of towns in Rio Grande do Sul north and west. The city is located on a hill, on Jacuí river margin, from where an extensive plain may be seen. This beautiful and unique landscape, has originated the first Jesuitical occupation in 1653. Nevertheless the “paulistas” pioneers have destroyed this native Christianizing project. In 1750, Portugal signed Madrid Treaty with Spain, according to which the Brazilian borders at the South were where today there is the city of Laguna. In 1751, General Gomes Freire de Andrade, chief of the Portuguese demarcation commission, has ordered to build a provision deposit for his soldiers at the location nowadays called Alto da Fortaleza. This deposit was kept under the protection of 60 paulistas adventurers commanded by Lieutenant Francisco Pinto Bandeira. Aware of the strategic position of the place, Gomes Freire requested the military engineer João Gomes de Mello of building on the hillock, in 1752, a fortification that he named Fortaleza Jesus Maria José. Fortaleza has been attacked many times, and has always courageously resisted, never loosing for the enemies. Due to this, it became known as a legend, being named "Tranqueira Invicta", remaining, up to now, in Rio Pardo heraldry. In 1754, to reinforce the fortification defense, which has already suffered attacks from the natives, it was sent a contingent of the Regimento de Dragões (Dragon Regiment) that came from Rio Grande (occupied by the Portuguese in 1737) and was commanded by Colonel Thomaz Luiz Osório. These Regiment has remained for more than 80 years in the city, becoming known as "Regimento de Dragões de Rio Pardo". With the militaries and their families, the city was originated, formed especially by Azoreans (Portuguese from the Azores Island, an archipelago belonging to Portugal). In October 10th, 1809, Rio Pardo became a village and was named "Vila do Príncipe" (Prince Village); and in March 31st, 1846 the village became a city. The municipality played an important role in the conquer of the Mission region in RS, as well as in Revolução Farroupilha (1835-1845) and in Paraguay War (1865). Soon after, German and other immigrants had come to colonize the neighborhoods, mainly Santa Cruz do Sul region that nowadays is the major economical and cultural pole of the region. Rio Pardo has a valuable and important architectonic and historical patrimony. We can highlight:
a) Forte Jesus Maria José, built in 1752;
b) Rua da Ladeira, which was the first paved street in RS, and is part of the National Historical Patrimony;
c) Igreja Matriz Nossa Senhora do Rosário, inaugurated in 1779;
d) Igreja de São Nicolau, built in a location constituted by Indians’ ranches and that has very interesting indigenous features;
e) Capela de São Francisco de Assis, built around the 1800’s;
f) Solar Almirante Alexandrino, where this famous reformer of the Brazilian Navy was born and also the ex-Presidente Humberto de Alencar Castelo Branco ancestors. It is part of the historical patrimony and nowadays it is a museum: Museum Barão de Santo Ângelo;
g) Old Military School, responsible for the education of countless renowned militaries;
h) Rio Pardo Bridge, built in 1825 by Argentinean prisoners;
i) Senhor dos Passos Chapel;
j) Couto Bridge, built in 1848 (with Roman arches);
k) Row of houses that belonged to the family of the notorious riopardense Raul Silveira, author of Rio Pardo Hymn;
m) Abellina Farm, created in 1853 by the German colonizer Frederico Augusto Hanenann, known as the “father of rational apiculture in Brazil".
Rio Pardo also has other natural beauties, as Praia dos Ingazeiros and Balneário Porto Ferreira.
Images, perceptions and comments on the visit to Rio Pardo:
g) Tourist House: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 (The tourist house is more than 200 years old. It was built by a northeastern colonel who came to work in the Military School, and it is one of the most subsisting examples of the city history. It was restored by a riopardense family and today there is a restaurant there. At the same time there are exhibited many paintings and each of the rooms of this house on “Rua da Ladeira” (officially Júlio de Castilhos Street), number 257 has “stories” to tell. The roof, telhado com "eira e beira", the internal yard, the wood windows, the doors, divisions and the ceiling are illustrative of the Portuguese tradition. It is built directly on the sidewalk and from its windows the people (specially the maidens) could observe the street and talk with friends (and admirers) and, who knows, listen to a serenade in a full moon evening.
h) Matriz Square environment, at the end of the event: 1
Impressions and comments about the historical city of Rio Pardo
Rio Pardo is 140 km away from Porto Alegre; during the 2000’s census, accomplished by IBGE, there were computed 37,778 inhabitants, being 11,742 (31.1%) of them living in the rural area. In Rio Grande do Sul context, it is still a municipality with a big territory: 2,133 Km2; its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is around US$ 111 million; and its "GDP per capita" is around US$ 2,941.00 (lower than the State average, that is around US$ 5,300.00). When you come closer to Rio Pardo, over the Jacuí River bridge, you may see the city (far) spread on a hill, with its majestic Matriz Church towers, built in the remote year of 1779. The city was founded at the same time that Porto Alegre, Triunfo and Santo Amaro village, which are also elevated and near Jacuí river. In those times, Jacuí River performed the important function of communicating the capital with the State interior; the rivers had a function similar to the arteries in the human body. The nature was prodigal with the city, giving it a unique geography, mainly in the area next to the fortitude, from where it may be seen Jacuí River and an extensive plain, towards Pantano Grande. The city has dozens of historical buildings and objects, important especially for Rio Grande do Sul State; it compares to other monumental historical cities as Rio Grande, Triunfo, Vila de Santo Amaro, Piratini and São Miguel das Missões. Recently, they have started to restore some buildings. When they get ready and the city has more cafés, restaurants and museums, it will be able to provide an open archive for students’ research and for visitors. There, the students can have a live contact with the history, see how a street was paved, check the society and families’ habits and values. When one understands the past, has more sensitivity to design the future. There are many things being done, but a lot still has to be accomplished in order to attract more tourists. First of all, there must be an extensive educational work (mainly along the access roads, where the restaurants and restrooms shall be better cared); the tourists require extreme neatness and care, and many businesses are already paying attention to that. There must be created more hotels and new reasons to bring more tourists and keep them for a longer time in the city. It would be interesting to paint the buildings in different colors, to explain their origins (with indicative signs), their functions and to provide street signs for a better orientation for the visitors. Its greatest value is its history; thus its architecture must be harmoniously preserved. Each demolished building puts a part of its own history in the wastebasket. So, the municipal plan should foresee the street and building preservation, especially of the most important for the city and for the State; and should avoid removals and inclusions of buildings that may mean a rupture with the past. The city geography, its historical buildings, everything seems to speak of a lonesome feeling. However, better than this, it is the impression left by its people, which seems to be simple, respectful, diligent and welcoming. Our stay in the city was too short to enjoy properly a small piece of its historical richness. Nevertheless, we can write about what we saw and assure to the incredulous ("tiaguistas") that Rio Pardo is effectively one of the most beautiful and significant cities in Rio Grande do Sul. It’s worth to know it.
=> Other information about Rio Pardo-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
APRIL 12th, 2001 IMAGES:
a) sunrise in the city: 1
b) Congratulation band for the "A" got by the Administration School of UFRGS, which offers a undergraduate course with 1,400 students; in-class and long-distance courses; around 30 specialization courses, an Academic Master Degree, a MBA and several inter-institutional Master degrees in cities of RS, SC, PR and MS; and a PhD. The school also has the Research Center for Administration (CEPA), with many important ongoing works at national and international levels. The School is one of the three most important in the country, within the administration area: 1
APRIL 10th, 2001 PICTURES:
Fog coming from Guaíba river towards downtown: 1
APRIL 8th, 2001:
"Designing" the Italian immigration region in RS – images from cities on the itinerary Veranópolis-Passo Fundo:
a) PASSO FUNDO-RS:
=> Other information on Passo Fundo-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Marau-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Vila Maria-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Casca-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Paraí-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Nova Araçá-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Nova Bassano-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
h) NOVA PRATA-RS:
=> Other information about Nova Prata-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Vila Flores-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Veranópolis-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
=> Other information about Bento Gonçalves-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site
Impressions from the trip to Passo Fundo-RS, passing by Veranópolis-RS (RS-470):
by the Missionary Sisters of São Carlos Borromeu - Scalabrians, this
author (Luis Roque Klering) has made a lecture about the population
evolution in Rio Grande do Sul, on April 8th, 2001, for the
Scalabrian movement participants who came from several parts of the State.
The scalabrian movement, started in the XIX century in Italy, in order to help Italian who immigrated to other countries, including Brazil, and has the purpose of helping migrants and refugees, to be welcomed by the new communities, to find jobs and shelter as well as social, material and spiritual welfare for them and their families. The congregation has several centers, in several countries. In Passo Fundo, the center is very spacious, there are big voluntary groups. The congregation also manages health institutions as Mãe de Deus Hospital in Porto Alegre. On the way back to Porto Alegre, we have decided again for the Veranopolis way, intending to know and document this State region, which is very developed and progressive. Passo Fundo city constitutes the most important pole of the "Planalto Médio" region, with its economy strongly directed for the service sector, mainly in the health area. The city became nationally known with the songs of the famous "Teixerinha", who said to be "there from Passo Fundo, from the Middle Plateau". In its honor it was built an expressive monument downtown. Several high buildings are under construction, giving to the visitor the sensation that the city is in a great economical progress. Marau city impresses by its puissance; it is very clean and cared, with many new and beautiful houses. It is the seat of one of Perdigão units, which succeeded in the town. Other companies actuate in a modern way and are quickly progressing, as Metasa that produces metallic structures. On the way, it appears the small Vila Maria that became emancipated from Marau. In spite of new, it shows some progress signs, improving the urban infrastructure, opening new streets, making possible the building of new houses, buildings and other enterprises. In Casca, there is a very beautiful church, and a very cared downtown. As many other municipalities in the region, instead of traffic lights, there are small flowered rotaries. The small Paraí stands out by its high rate of literate population and by its two successful industrial districts created in the 80’s and 90’s. Most industries produce and sell basalt. The square, with the church on its upper portion, is a very beautiful site. From RS-470, it is possible to observe Nova Araçá panorama, in a privileged way. When you enter in the city, you feel a special sensation; its curved streets, with some wooden houses seem to return to an old Italian village scenario. Nova Bassano may be observed from RS-470. From the distance, its Matriz Church outstands. It has a large Doux plant that manufactures chicken rations, and produces eggs. Nova Prata is also located along RS-470, from where it may be seen. Downtown, there is a campus of Caxias do Sul University. It also has a very beautiful church. The city is known as the “Brazilian basalt capital"; but it also has one of the biggest and more successful companies from RS, Vipal, of the rubber sector. In the city there are many new buildings under construction and the old ones are very cared, including its City Hall. It has a café that can proudly be visited by any exigent tourist. Veranópolis is known as the "longevity land"; it is a reasonable old city, but very cared and with many new buildings. For the tourist, its seems to have a special “glamour”. There is also a famous Marist school, an “Alpargatas” plant, and a well-known company that manufactures "Dalponte" balls. When you leave the city, from Veranópolis to Porto Alegre, there are two marvels, one natural and another artificial. From "mirante do espigão", it is possible to see Rio das Antas valley, as well as its surrounding mountains. The bridge over Rio das Antas, in the entrance (for the people who arrive) or in the exit (for those who leave) of the city has two impressive 186m long arches. Inaugurated in 1953, being for a long time called “monumental bridge”, it has been under construction for 10 years. It is 248.6 meter long. It is commented that motorcyclists and cyclers risk running on the arches with their bikes, in horrifying courage exercises. Soon after, in Bento Gonçalves, Rio das Antas makes up one of the most beautiful landscapes of the mountain range with its big curve (called "Ferradura Valley"). This region that includes other beautiful municipalities and valleys, as "Vale dos Vinhedos", will be documented and commented in another opportunity. APRIL 4th, 2001 PICTURES: 1) PORTO ALEGRE-RS: Forum about Long-Distance Learning, reporting the activities and experiences developed by ongoing projects at UFRGS; the event, supported by the University Deanery, took place in Conselho das Unidades hall, where it can be seen one of the major and most expressive paintings, from the works left by the famous Italian, but “gaúcho” by option, painter Mr. Aldo Locatelli: 1, 2 Among the projects supported by the Deanery, it was reported the NAVi case, the Virtual Learning Center, developed within the Administration School of the University.