APRIL 22nd, 2001 IMAGES:

PORTO ALEGRE-RS: 

Sunday at Redenção Park bric-a-brac – party and democracy: 

a) Puppet Theater divulgement:  1 2 3 4 5 6,  7,  8 9 10 11 12 13 

b) Sights from Bric-a-Brac street (José Bonifácio) and from Redenção Park:  1,  2,  3 , 4 5 6,  7,  8 9,  10,  11 12 13,  14,  15 16 

c) Military School in Porto Alegre:  1 2,  3,  4 5 6 7 

Sunset on Guaíba River, in the late afternoon 1,  2,  3 , 4 , 5 6 7,  8,  9 

ESTEIO-RS: 

Recent images from the city

ehmagens recentes da cidade

 =>   Other information about  Esteio-RS:  see on NUTEP/UFRGS site

APRIL 21st, 2001 IMAGES: 

BOM PRINCÍPIO-RS: 

In the last 20 years, Rio Grande do Sul has gone through a wide-ranging transformation concerning its municipalities: from 232, in 1982, to 497, in 2001. In 1981-1982, there were created 12 new municipalities: Bom Princípio, Teutônia, Capão da Canoa, Charqueadas and Parobé among others. The first group of emancipated districts was so successful, that this stimulated other areas to search for this progress; in 1988, other 89 got emancipated; in 1992, more 94; in 1996, other 40; and, finally, in 2000, other 30. In all of them, fast changes were noticed: improvements in the educational, health, cultural and leisure areas, in the infrastructure and economy. Shortening, the autonomy has assured more freedom for the municipalities so that they could develop and progress. 

The change signs may be clearly seen in those municipalities, but also the interior received important improvements like road paving, factories, nurseries, health centers, schools, restaurants and other facilities and services, as you can check in the following images of Bom Princípio: 

a) Morro Tico-tico:    123

b) Nova Colúmbia: 1234567 

 (in this location, many youngsters work as bricklayers at the construction sites, for local and Vale dos Sinos companies, mainly from Novo Hamburgo-RS); 

c) Santa Terezinha location:   12345678

d) Scherer Village, where the remarkable cardinal Dom Vicente Scherer was born and where his relatives live (in memoriam):  1  

e) Santa Lúcia location (late afternoon):  123 

 =>   Other information on Bom Princípio-RS:  see on NUTEP/UFRGS site

 

SÃO VENDELINO-RS: 

This small district emancipated from Bom Princípio in 1988; it is called by its inhabitants of “Small Paradise". It struggles with Bom Princípio (its "mother-municipality") and Tupandi ("its twin district") for the title of “the most literate population in Brazil”. At the bottom of the gaúchas mountains, there was the last German colony; from 1875 on, Italian immigrants started to colonize higher areas, and now there are the cities of Carlos Barbosa, Garibaldi, Bento Gonçalves, Farroupilha, Caxias do Sul and other. The vendelinenses ancestors came mainly from the German "Sankt Wendel's" area; they spoke the Franco-German dialect, which is still spoken by many families in several locations known as Swiss Valley, French Line and others. They used to speak German but, in fact, they came from areas that today belong to Switzerland, Holland, Germany, and other countries. They came to colonize the area of Forromeco stream around 1855, going up São Leopoldo-São José do Hortêncio-Bom Princípio. There can be still seen some original houses, usually built in two different parts: a kitchen and bedrooms; the separation was made to avoid fires. Close to the central area, there is a preciousness: a brewery, built in 1866 that belonged to Nicolaus Neis. At that time, when there were no refrigerators, the beer was made at fresh and vented houses, and was half covered by the ground. At this town, it happened one of the most famous stories from the German colonization times: the rape and later escape of Lamberto Versteg family, by caingangues Indians, which became known as "The Bugre Victims". The fact took place in 1868; and the book was written in 1924 by the priest Matias José Gansweidt, based on Lamberto’s reports. In 1996, several hundreds of their descendants have gathered at Desvio Blauth location, in Carlos Barbosa-RS, and later in São Vendelino. They have come from several states, as well as from near countries, to where they have migrated. The largest number of Lamberto Versteg’s descendents would be now living in Arabutã, Santa Catarina. In Chapter IV, the author tells, “Forromeco valley is getting more and more populated”. Houses and ranches, surrounded by crops arise from all the corners. The land products increase in number and quality, for everyone’s happiness. The trade enlarges. It’s an evident sign that the colonizers had won the nature and may face the future with confidence. In 1864, the first wooden chapel was built in this location, dedicated to Saint Vendelino. It fit for the divine celebrations and for classes for the little “coloninhos...".  In January 1868, Lamberto has made a short trip to São Sebastião do Caí, to visit a friend and participate of the celebrations ("Kerb") at São Luiz Chapel, in Bela Vista, currently belonging to Bom Princípio-RS. Meanwhile, his wife and two children were captured by Indians, who were ranched at Morro Canastra bottom (from there it may be seen São Vendelino, and far away, Porto Alegre). To help, the colonizers rang the chapel bells and gathered 26 men to catch the natives, who were moving towards Campo dos Bugres (nowadays Caxias do Sul). The expedition went there, but did not meet them, because maybe the Indians had gone farther up to São Marcos region. Many years later, when he already was 18, his son Jacob managed to escape from the woods to a farm in São Marcos. From the wife Valfrida and the daughter Lucila nothing else was heard. Next there are some images of the “small paradise”: 

a) seat:  123456789101112131415 

b) erosion caused by strong rain on 2000’s Christmas Eve :   1234

c) old "brewery":   123

d) 140-year-house:   1234

=> Other information on São Vendelino-RS: see on NUTEP/UFRGS site

PORTO ALEGRE-RS: 

Aldo Locatelli was a painter who had left extraordinary works in churches and other public spaces in Rio Grande do Sul. He came to the State in 1948, invited by the Bishop from Pelotas, Dom Záttera, to paint Saint Francis de Sales Cathedral; its indication was made by the Primate from Paris, that later became Pope John XXIII. From the fresco painting "The First Mess" on, he was invited to make many other paintings on walls and panels in Porto Alegre, Santa Maria, Caxias do Sul and others (including in São Paulo). Quickly, he fell in love with the state that he adopted and reproduced in expressive and memorable works. Soon he brought his wife, had children and became a professor at the Art Institute of UFRGS. Aldo Locatelli was born in Bergamo, Italy, in 1915. From a humble family, since his early years he was strongly impressed by the restoration of his native town church. In 1931, he started a decoration course, where he got in touch with the works of Rafael, Botticelli, Michelangelo and other great painters. Between 1943 and 1945, during the Second World War, he made his first work. When he received the invitation from the bishop, he was painting Geneva cathedral. During the 14 years he has lived in RS, he painted religious and also “gauchos” themes on his panels, portraying the history and focusing on the future, too. The Via-Dolorosa in São Pelegrino Church, in Caxias do Sul, which had taken 10 years to be concluded, is considered his masterpiece. His last work was the “Sagrado Coração de Jesus”, which remained unfinished, because he died on September 3rd, 1962, at the age of 47, probably due to the paints constant inhalation. Next, we present some of his paintings, and others will be photographed later (the photos from São Pelegrino Church will be recreated, with other resources). 

São Pelegrino Church, Caxias do Sul: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 

Palácio Piratini, Porto Alegre: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 

Reitoria da Universidade Federal do RGS: 1 

Santa Maria Cathedral: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 

(Information source on Aldo Locatelli: Magda Achutti, "Rio Grande do Sul: um século de história", vol. 2) 

APRIL 19th, 2001 IMAGES:

PORTO ALEGRE-RS: 

Viamão City Hall  is exhibiting some historical Azorean pieces, in Rio Grande do Sul Memorial, located at the former Post Office building (restored), in front of Alfândega Square, in Porto Alegre. The Azorean presence is very strong in RS historical cities; located along the line formed by Rio Grande-Viamão-Porto Alegre-Rio Pardo, as well as on the state coast, mainly in São José do Norte, Mostardas and Santo Antônio da Patrulha. In the exhibition, there may be seen furniture, personal objects and typical costumes: 1234.

 It is estimated that from 1750 to 1800, more than 2.000 Azoreans have migrated to Rio Grande do Sul. This migration was more intensive around the 1750’s, after a big dryness took place in the archipelago, more precisely in 1746. The diplomat Alexandre de Gusmão has made many efforts in order to allocate them in the south of Brazil, that at the time was not very populated (because there were not harbors for the ships). After Madrid Treaty was signed, in 1750, the Portuguese Crown, decided that the Azorean couples could occupy the northwest region, more precisely Sete Povos das Missões. Initially, they were taken to Rio Grande harbor and then to Viamão (nowadays Porto Alegre). But, meantime, it started Guaranítica War (1751-1756), postponing successively the settlement. 60 families remained camped in Porto Alegre, and others went forward to Triunfo, Santo Amaro and Rio Pardo. The Spanish, did not accept Madrid treaty and attacked Colônia do Sacramento (nowadays Uruguay, in front of Buenos Aires), and Rio Grande, at Lagoa dos Patos entrance. This fortitude city has fallen in an episode known as "Rio Grande Running" and, in 1763, the province government transferred to Viamão, where it remained until 1773, when was transferred again to Porto Alegre. 

The architecture of the Post Office building (restored) (presently RS Memorial):  12

MARGS building architecture:   1234,  567

The state law, which created the Museum of Art of Rio Grande do Sul is dated of 1954; its first director was Ado Malagoli and in its  beginnings, it was located at São Pedro Theater foyer. Nowadays, it is located on the superb neoclassical building, built in 1913 by Rivadávia da Cunha Correa, Ministry of Economy, aiming to be the seat of the Fiscal Office. Together with the near buildings it composes one of the most valuable architectonic works in RS: the neo-baroque building of the Post, the current State Secretary of Finances and the entrance of the harbor. MARGS building has more than 4,000 square meters, and there are exhibited more than 2,500 art works. Its architecture is in a German style, with four towers with domes that remind Prussian helmets.

The Post Office and MARGS buildings were, respectively, designed by the architects Rudolf Ahrons and Theo Wiederspahn. In the beginning of the last century, the tourists arrived by the harbor customs, the main entrance to the city. So, the Republican and positivist government of the time (Carlos Barbosa and Borges de Medeiros) decided to open an avenue (nowadays Sepúlveda) from the harbor until the Palace (this project was not concluded, probably because they had to demolish important buildings of the period); the harbor customs received stained glass windows from France (see images 1, 2, 3, 4) . Alfândega Square was landed (in 1911), being built, on each of its sides, the magnificent buildings of the Post Office and MARGS. Close to there, a visitor could see other two stately buildings: Clube do Comércio and the one which later would be Guarany Movie Theater (nowadays Safra Bank): 1, 2, 3

The surroundings of Alfândega Square was considered "Porto Alegre Broadway”, and the investments on the area continued, because it was the “pulsing heart of the city". In the 60’s (1967), it was started a big project: the construction of the biggest building in town, named Santa Cruz, with 33 pavements; in the middle of the 70’s, another impressive building was built: the headquarters of Caixa Econômica Federal in RS, with beautiful engravings related to the gaúcho way of life on its outside walls. In the 80’s, on the corner of Andradas and Caldas Júnior, where it formerly was the famous "Grande Hotel", it was built another big Shopping Center, with other office buildings, including a new "Grande Hotel".

Webmaster: lrklering@adm.ufrgs.br