August 14th, 2001 IMAGES: 

PORTO ALEGRE-RS: 

- first evidences of Spring, at Matriz Square:   1,   2

- restoration of a building known as "Apachean Fort", which was a temporary headquarter for the state government during the construction of Palácio Piratini, between 1911 and 1921. The building will serve the Solicitors’ building, establishing a "link" or a representation around the square, that already concentrates the seats of the executive (Palácio Piratini), legislative (Palácio Farroupilha), and judiciary  (Palácio da Justiça), besides the Catholic Church administration (at the metropolitan Cathedral);   1

- monument in honor to Júlio de Castilhos, governor of the state of RS in the end of the XIX century (1893 to 1899), and a positivist leader in RS, that has largely influenced the whole country during the government of President Getúlio Vargas. The bronze monument (sculptured in 1913, during Carlos Barbosa government) was sculptured by Décio Villares, who has also designed the Brazilian flag, which shows the positivist inscription "Order and Progress".  Júlio de Castilhos was born in 1860, in the municipality that was named after him: Júlio de Castilhos.  He graduated at the Law School in São Paulo, where he got in touch with the positivist ideas of the French philosopher August Comte. In 1893, during the federalist revolution, he beat the "maragatos" (federalists and monarchists, led by Gaspar Silveira Martins, and who wore red scarves) as a leader of the "republican woodpeckers” (followers of a strong and independent local state and who wore white scarves). 

The monument at Matriz Square, shows the figure of the state man trying to take action after reading a book he is holding in his left hand and it indicates the practical man character (and the legislative strength over the legislative and judiciary). At the monument left side, a character representing the courage holds the victory laurels; at the back, the prudence image tries to avoid the impulses, pointing at the danger. At Júlio de Castilhos’ right side, another athletic image representing the strength of mind, celebrates the leader perseverance. The whole is dominated by an image, which represents the civism and is holding the national flag, a love symbol that impels great deeds and conquers.  

Images of the monument. At its back, the Metropolitan Cathedral and its enormous dome, that is the 2nd biggest in the world. The biggest one is the Holy See in Rome:  1,   2,   3,   4,   5,   6

(Information source on Julio de Castilhos monument: the book Rio Grande do Sul: one century of history, coordinated by Carlos Urbim and published by Mercado Aberto, in 1999, vol. 1, p. 81-82)

August 13th, 2001 IMAGES: 

PORTO ALEGRE-RS: 

- sunrise:   1

August 11th, 2001 IMAGES: 

PORTO ALEGRE-RS: 

- export of bus bodyworks, via Navegantes harbor, by Marcopolo company, from Caxias do Sul-RS.  Marcopolo has revenue of around R$ 1 billion per year. It is one of the biggest companies in Rio Grande do Sul and the 2nd biggest bus bodywork manufacturer in the world. It exports to several dozens of countries. This portion of around 150 bus bodyworks is being exported to Mexico:   1,   2,   3,   4,   5,   6

- entrance of the city, through Castelo Branco Avenue:    1,   2,   3,   4

BOM PRINCÍPIO-RS: 

Images of a "fandango" that took place at CTG (“Gaúcho” Traditionalism Center) "Porteira Aberta":     1,   2,   3,   4

“Fandangos” are traditionalist balls of the gaúchos (people born in Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil, or who have taken its culture). In these events, the “gaúcha” tradition followers usually wear typical customs: the men or "peões",  wear pilchas; and the women or prendas, characteristic dresses. Other typical “gaúcha” tradition manifestations include: the habit of drinking chimarrão and eating churrasco (barbecue), of cultivating “gauchesca” music and dance, and the use of their own dialect (full of  expressions as "bah", "tchê" and others). 

 =>   Other information on Bom Princípio-RS: see on the site Terragaúcha and NUTEP/UFRGS

August 7th, 2001: 

PORTO ALEGRE-RS:

 - sunset:

- meeting at the Legislative Body Building of RS, with deputies and representatives from areas interested in their emancipation, with the purpose of defining strategies and measures to face the amendment to the Federal Constitution that makes more difficult new municipality emancipations throughout the country. At the meeting, there were presented two new municipalities matters, Tupandi and Três Cantos Lake that had a great progress after their emancipations in 1988 and 1992. There were present at the meeting, representatives from more than 90 areas interested in emancipating:

See once more some brief documentaries about the new and small municipalities of Tupandi and São Vendelino, which had been previously visited. Documentaries about the other municipalities, can be checked on the section (“We have been there“) Nós estivemos lá...", on Terragaúcha site.

August 5th, 2001: 

 BENTO GONÇALVES-RS:

- entrance porch:   1

- touristic  information house:   1

- Church and Central Square:   1,  2,  3

- facilities of Aurora Winery:    1,   2

- Hotel Dall'Onder:   1

- facilities of Fenavinho Park:   1,  2

- sights from the urban area of Bento Gonçalves, taken from the road that goes to Pinto Bandeira, RS:   12,   3

- downtown streets and buildings:   12,   3,   4,   56,   7,   8,   91011

=> other information about Bento Gonçalves-RS:   see on the NUTEP/UFRGS

PINTO BANDEIRA-RS:

- church square:    1,   2,   3,   4

- inside area, objects and paintings of the church, that was recently restored:   1,   2,   3,   4,   56,   7,   8,   91011

- Municipal administration:   1,  2,  3

- Main Street:   1,  2

- Central Square:  1,   2,   3,   4

- north sight of the city, taken from a far location:   1

- recently built gym:  1

- facilities of Pompéia Winery:   1,  2,   3,   4

- beautiful residences:   1,  2,   3,   4

For further information on Pinto Bandeira-RS see NUTEP/UFRGS

Pinto Bandeira municipality was created on January 1st , 2001. Nevertheless, this emancipation is being opposed the STF (Supreme Court) by Bento Gonçalves municipality, that originated the new district. The municipality is about 13.5 km from Bento Gonçalves, linked by an asphalted highway. In this few months of life, its administration could accomplish important improvements. Matriz and central squares are very well cared. The church was recently restored trying to recover an important patrimony of the community. Old and typical houses were restored. The public buildings, equipments and machinery are very neat. Economically, the municipality is highly viable and progressive. However, the pending decision in Brasilia about its future, has brought discouragement and pessimism. Since 1982, 265 new municipalities have been created in RS State. The number of new municipalities has increased from 232 to 497. From the social, cultural and economical point of view, the emancipations have brought unquestionable benefits for the state. The progress of the first 12 emancipation processes has contaminated other areas, and stimulated other communities to look for similar benefits and status; in 1988, there were created 89 new municipalities; in 93, other 94; in 1995, more 40, and 30 had to wait to be installed in the "dawn" of 2001. Among these 30, there is the new Pinto Bandeira municipality, which had greater difficulties to approve its emancipation process. In RS, the regions with a higher number of municipalities are the most progressive ones; the municipalities that overestimate their big extensions of land and that have been avoiding to be split are, in general, the least prosperous. Santana do Livramento, that keeps its 5 thousand square meter territory since its foundation (more than one century ago), nowadays, has a nominal GDP, in dollars, smaller than 10 years ago. Other areas that have been fragmented had created more dynamic markets, generated options, investments, income and demand. The smaller municipalities, usually, can take better care of their children, youngsters, elderly, colonies and other social categories. They increase the self-esteem of their people, what is reflected in more effective actions, public and historical patrimonies better cared and an income increase, with local and regional results. The life quality improvement is mostly due to the better treatment given to humbler populations, in these locations that were able to achieve a municipality status, and that could be independent to care for their destiny and development.

August 4th, 2001 IMAGES:  

SÃO JOSÉ DO HORTÊNCIO-RS:

São José do Hortêncio municipality is part of the “old” German colony and has emerged from the "interiorizing" German colonization process, started at Feitoria do Linho Cânhamo, São Leopoldo, in July 25th, 1824.

Originally it was known as "Linha Portuguesa"; later, the Caí Valley occupation has advanced up to the Hillside, on Caí river margin. São Sebastião do Caí harbor was used as a supporting point and has been for a long time the “mother” of São José do Hortêncio, until the last emancipated in 1988.

The city still preserves original features, mainly a long main street, that formerly was known as “linha” or “picada”, and that led to the Vale do Lobo, which belongs to Feliz municipality. Vale do Lobo is on the other side of the Hill, on the northern side of the city; where there is a beautiful and bucolic valley that leads to Feliz. This locality plants an outstanding part of Rio Grande do Sul strawberry production.

- city sights, taken from the access road at the southern side of the city:  1,   2

- Main Street:   1,   2,   3,   4,   5

- old house built in 1877:   1,   2

- other buildings at the downtown area:   1,   2,   3,   4

- municipal administration:   1,   2,   3,   4,   5

- pioneer colony house, in a Rhenish style:   1,   2

- city sights, taken from the hill at the northern side:  1,   2,   3,   4,   5

=> other information on São José do Hortêncio-RS see on NUTEP/UFRGS

 FELIZ-RS

 - Vale do Lobo that has an important influence in the strawberry production in RS:   1,   2,   3

- Escadinhas; formerly the access to Caxias do Sul region was made through this road. A little farther it was built, in the early 1900’s,  over Caí River,  an iron bridge brought from Belgium:   1,   2,   3,   4

=> further information on Feliz-RS:   see on NUTEP/UFRGS site

 BOM PRINCÍPIO-RS

 – Caí river meadow, at the border of Feliz; at the back it can be seen the urban area:   1,   2,   3,   4

=> other information on Bom Princípio-RS  see on NUTEP/UFRGS site

August 3rd, 2001 IMAGES:  

PORTO ALEGRE-RS:

 - late afternoon on a weekend, and the moon "peering", to invade the night:   1,   2,   3,   4,   5

August 2nd, 2001 IMAGES:  

PORTO ALEGRE-RS:

 - sunset on Guaíba River:    1,   2

- Otávio Rocha viaduct, known as "Viaduct of Borges" (because it is located on Borges de Medeiros avenue):   1,   2,   3,   4

The viaduct is to be inaugurated on August 16th, 2001, after more than four years of restoration works. The restoration was accomplished on its structure and artistic features. It belongs to the historic patrimony of the city since 1988. Otávio Rocha, major of the city in that time, designed by the engineers Manoel Itaquy and Duilio Bernardi, and built by the German company Dyckerhoff and Weidmann, between 1928 e 1932, idealized it. The viaduct has a concrete structure, with three openings and four access ramps for pedestrians. On the central part of each ramp, there are stairs that lead to Duque de Caxias street. The entire revetment was made in granite powder, providing a stony aspect.

With the restoration, all the 36 viaduct stores were renewed and got new floors, frames, electrical, hydraulic and telephone installations.

IMAGES OF 08/01//2001: 

PORTO ALEGRE-RS:

 - sunset over Guaíba river:  1  

 

Webmaster: lrklering@adm.ufrgs.br

Translated by Traduzca