C1 - Webcams
C2 - Images
C3 - Links RS
C4 - Links BR
PG - Links to world sites and highlights
Porto Alegre eastern region sight
Previous images and reports:
Picture sequences got with a digital camera:
Santander Cultural Architecture:
is located in a building that is part of the historical patrimony of Rio
Grande do Sul, at Alfândega Square, in Porto Alegre business center. The
building was the headquarters for the banks Nacional do Comércio (which
has followed Banco da Província, that was the first bank in the state,
founded in 1858, in the building of the old Casa Masson) and Sulbrasileiro.
The building is one of the most beautiful and majestic in the city and
probably is the masterpiece of the great German architect Theodor
Wiederspahn (that was unjustly disqualified in 1933 to the category of
"licensed constructor"). It was built in a neoclassical
style, incorporated positivist elements, in the period between 1927 to
1932. It has an area of 5,600m2. Recently it was restored by Santander
Bank (which incorporated Meridional Bank; that on its turn has followed
Sulbrasileiro Bank which was created by the merger of several banks, among
them the Nacional do Comércio Bank, that followed the first bank of the
state that was Banco da Província).
The restoration and
adaptation project has transformed the building into one of the most
modern cultural spaces of the country; it joins to other important
cultural spaces in the city’s center, including mainly MARGS
and RS Memorial; in September 2002, the central city area will be
contemplated with a new and important cultural center in honor of the
writer Érico Veríssimo.
See and admire the
following images of this magnificent cultural center:
(due to the 3a.
Bienal do Mercosul, there were focused only areas and walls not
occupied by works of art; we thank the press of the Cultural Center, which
allowed the image taking and the development of this short documentary)
Other information on
the building and the events programming may be obtained by clicking on the
site Santander Cultural
Brave defense of the territory:
In the image above, we
can see a quero-quero intrepidly
defending its nest, avoiding the approach of the sheep. The camouflaged
located besides this bird, which is considered a symbol of the southern
Brazilian fields. In RS, it is praised in poems and songs as the “pampas
sentinel”. Nevertheless, it can also be frequently heard and seen in the
cities when it invades squares and parks.
A ride through UNISINOS campus:
stands among the five biggest and most important universities of RS,
together with UFRGS, PUCRS,
ULBRA and UCS.
All of them have important jobs, philosophies and peculiarities. They are
located in this southern state of Brazil, which outstands for the quality
of its universities and the technological qualification of its companies.
UFRGS, maintained by the federal
government, outstands for the research and the post-graduation courses; it
is one of the 5 most important universities in Brazil; PUCRS,
located in Porto Alegre, follows a Marist catholic philosophy;
ULBRA, with headquarters in
Canoas-RS and with several campi in many cities and states throughout
Brazil is maintained by a Lutheran institution; UNISINOS,
located in São Leopoldo, in the center of
Sinos valley, follows a Jesuitical or Ignatian option. And, finally,
UCS, located in the Italian region of
Caxias do Sul, which is an example of a regional university, as well as UNISC,
and others, that play important roles in the development of their regions.
From all the universities in RS
(and maybe in Brazil and Latin America), UNISINOS
has the most beautiful and outstanding campus, as it may be seen in the
following images taken within the university area during this sunny
stone bridge that has been kept at Largo dos Açorianos, is an important
testimony of a period in the history of Porto Alegre, when the
rivulet (present Dilúvio brook) passed by there. The bridge was built
following orders of Caxias Count , in March 1st , 1846, during
the riograndense conciliation period. Up to then, at the "end of
Figueira Street” there was a wood bridge that
frequently presented problems. The bridge has begun to be used in
March 1848. One century later, the works remain inactive due to the
rivulet pipe works. Nevertheless, wisely, the municipality has preserved
the bridge over a water mirror.
the last October, Infraero has inaugurated the facilities of the new
airport of Porto Alegre that is one of the most modern in the country.
Besides the passengers, many tourists and curious people, including school
children circulate in its facilities.
11th, 2001 IMAGES:
is an exotic tree, originated from the east (Japan, Korea and China) which
has permanent leaves and white-green flowers, that become little purple
fruits very appreciated by birds. The scientific name of this tree is ligustrum japonicum. In Porto Alegre it can be found downtown and in
Menino Deus neighborhood.
trees are located on Fernando Machado street
(former "rua do arvoredo" street), at the back of Palácio
Piratini. Is belongs to the ficus
microcarp species; the interwoven roots are a result of the trees’
house next to the trees, on the corner of General Auto and Fernando
Machado streets, an extremely morbid fact took place in the end of the XIX
century and is known as "rua do arvoredo crime".
images of the Book Fair can be seen by clicking here)
sunset images can be accessed by clicking here)
10TH, 2001 IMAGES:
SANTANA DO LIVRAMENTO-RS
do Livramento is located on the border of Brazil and Uruguay. On the other
side of the dry border (a
urban street) it is located Rivera. It is one of the oldest, historical
and with one of the largest territories in RS. The city has gone through
several prosperous periods, when large wool producers, cold storage plants,
social organizations and soccer clubs appeared at large. Slowly, the
economy started to decline, due to several reasons. Among them, we can
enumerate: the isolation (distance from other expressive economical
centers), a centralized view (in politics, industry, trade and territorial
organization), and excessive attachment to the history and traditions (generating
difficulties to accept conceptual and practical changes), an economic
option directed to the agriculture, cattle raising and trade, without
emphasizing the industry development, which is a “bridge” between the
former and the latter.
recent economic globalization process has increased the difficulties in
the municipality. The “free shop” in Rivera is paralyzed due to the
high exchange rates (raising the goods’ prices to levels which do no
stimulate Brazilian customers). An important portion of the population is
unemployed, what can be measured through the amount of informal
salespeople on the streets.
the other side, the municipality has an important cultural history and a
located at the famous “Parallel 31", and its land and climate are
proper for fruit, mainly grape crops. Some American universities made this
recommendation about the land. Based on these studies, a Californian
company, which produces "Almadén" wines, tried to install in
the region of Bagé-RS. Due to some purchasing difficulties, it has
accepted an offer of lands in the district of Palomas, which belongs to
the municipality of Santana do Livramento.
1974, Almadén started its huge project, after more than 10 years of grape
preparation and selection. The first fine varieties, with Almadén brand,
were launched in Brazil in 1983.
wines are locally produced, and originate from their own grapes produced
in more than 5000 hectares.
Yearly, between 6 and 8 tons of grapes are
produced, generating an equal amount of wines, produced from grapes
varieties as Riesling, Ugni blanc, gewürztraminer, Gamay Beaujolais,
cabernet, merlot and cabernet sauvignon.
company wines are consumed within the national market, mainly in São
Paulo, which is the leading purchaser, reporting for more than 60% of the
total production, followed by Minas Gerais, with other 15%. Due to the
closing of the glass factory Vifosa, located in Canoas-RS, some years ago,
the company has started to bottle the wines in São Paulo. In that state,
the taxes on the wine production is also lower (12% compared to the 17% in
RS). So, the unit in Santana do Livramento has reduced its staff from more
than 800 workers to a little more than 100. It has also transferred almost
the whole of its Added Value to there, causing a great negative impact on
the taxes return to Santana de Livramento. These problems may be reverted
with a prevailing governmental policy in strategic aspects (trying to get
back a wine factory) and fiscal (reducing the taxes on some specific
sectors and products), in order to objectively face the “fiscal wars”
unilaterally established by the states.
the company, formerly controlled by Seagram, was acquired by a French
multinational, which intends to increase and vary the wine lines,
including the old oak barrel usage.
a question remains: what implemented measures could revert the relative
apathy and frustration of the municipality?
some measures, we take the opportunity to suggest the following ones:
make viable the access to the land for a greater number of owners, without
harming the present ones, promoting a natural cultural and patrimonial
change, which would be advantageous to the present landowners, and able to
move, diversify and intensify the primary production:
to stimulate vigorously and to provide more resources for the grape and
other fruit crops, which are proper for the region;
make possible and to subsidize industry installations, like wine producers
with a higher effort from the government;
to encourage the creation of new villages and municipalities, searching
for more new markets and competitors;
to foment the creation of organized
civil societies, as associations, councils, cooperatives and of
democratic institutions in order to increase the levels of the
To search for new developments in the tourism, urban and rural, including
the perforation of deep wells to transform the city into a thermal resort;
to stimulate the use of advanced technologies at school and in companies,
to compensate the distance with economical and cultural centers through
new communication paradigms. For instance, some municipalities sites as
the portal "Santana
do Livramento" are meritorious initiatives, which deserve the
public, private and community support; they constitute new windows for the
world to see the distant city and, at the same time, to enable the city to
see other cities and realities of the world, even when located at a huge
images of the municipality (on a very rainy day):
wine barrels are made of aluminum and steel and support volumes up to
The historical municipality of Quaraí-RS is
located 105 km away from Santana do Livramento. It is on the border of
Uruguay, being separated by a river. On the other margin there is the city
of Artigas (see a city image: 1).
To go to Quaraí, passing by Santana do Livramento, an asphalted highway,
with very little traffic is crossed. On both sides there can be seen
“fields and fields with cattle”, with little signs of human presence (very
rare constructions). The city perspires a certain “far west”
atmosphere due to its peaceful appearance; low buildings with few colors,
people’s dressing and an expressive use of pickups.
NOVEMBER 4th, 2001 IMAGES:
São Pedro Hospital:
Pedro was the first psychiatric hospital in the city. Its construction was
started on December 2nd, 1879. The first part was concluded in
1884; nevertheless the 5th and last building was concluded only
in 1903. In 1884, it was visited by Princess Isabel, when just ¼ of the
building was finished. At that time, it was considered a great advance to
put the people, who were unduly locked in a prison, in a hospital.
At its best times, the hospital has sheltered more than 5 thousand
people, but with the current policy of receiving people with psychical
sufferings in smaller places, the hospital is being gradually deactivated.
the hill in front of the Hospital, formerly known as Hospice Hill, the
“Maria Degolada” took place. The story is being represented in
a play in the city. There, on November 12th, 1899, Maria
Francelina Trenes, 21 years old and of German origin, was crudely
decapitated by her lover Bruno Soares Bicudo, a soldier of the Military
Brigades, better known as "soldier Brum". The crime was due to a
vile reason, (futile argument). On a Sunday, "soldier Brum" and
three other colleagues, with their respective wives, decided to make a
picnic on the top of the hill, where today there is the street Carlos de
Laet. After a barbecue, Maria Francelina and soldier Brum argued; and the
soldier decapitated the lover, was arrested and died after seven years in
the place began to be adored by humble people, mainly by people with
“sorrowful loves”, and many candles and gifts were offered to the
young woman, who became popularly known as "Maria Degolada".
Within the official locations, the hill and the place are referred as:
"Maria da Conceição".
there is a little chapel on that location, were there candles are
continuously lit. The place is difficult to be reached: the road that
leads to the place is asphalted, but it is narrow, sinuous and on both
sides very humble houses can be seen. It seems a "blind alley" (so,
impressed and afraid we had continued without taking any image from the
Velho is one of the oldest districts of Porto Alegre. The architecture of
(short and at the sidewalk), its narrow streets and the little
chapel evidence that the village was founded by the Azorean descendants.
- View of Porto
Alegre downtown, taken at the top of Glória neighborhood:
NOVEMBER 3rd, 2001 IMAGES:
In Brazil, November 2nd
is the “Memorial Day”, a day which reminds and honors the dead with
flowers and prays. The cemetery preservation is important due to several
reasons besides the religious ones; in them, we can find out some
important features of the habits and of the history of each location (due
to this, some consider them as museums at an open sky”). For instance,
the size and richness of the tombs, the location, the material employed,
the kind and meaning of the inscriptions help to revolve and understand
the life in the past.
See some images of the beautiful cemetery (or better, “Peaceful
Garden”) in Bom Princípio-RS:
Additional explanations: In 1866 Nicolaus Neis built a microbrewery in São Vendelino; he also killed a tiger on the top of a tree during the expedition of farmers who searched for the family of Lamberto Versteg, ravished by the natives in 1868. Guilherme Winter was the founder of Bom Princípio; Peter and Anna Scherer were the parents of the longed gaúcho cardinal, D. Vicente Scherer; and Felipe Selbach has divided the lands into lots which became, years later, the municipality of Selbach.
flourishing with contrasting colors and curves (located
in Petrópolis neighborhood):
The first tree, located on Leopoldina Viaduct, in front of the Law School,
was the central factor for a
historical event that has impacted the
gaúcha press and society, in the past 70’s.
The design plan for the viaduct (the works were being started) of
João Pessoa avenue over Perimetral (Loureiro da Silva Ave.), foresaw to
put a series of trees down, including this one, in order to make possible
the way enlargement. At
eleven in the morning of February
2nd, 1975 the workers from the Municipal Works Secretary
arrived with the task of
cutting the trees on the sidewalk in front of the Law School.
There was a last tree to be cut, when they left the place to have
lunch (they would finish the work later ).
Meanwhile, a student from the Electro technical School, Carlos
Alberto Dayrel (natural from another Brazilian state and who used to live
in the Students’ House, located on the other side of the avenue),
climbed the tree and tried to avoid its cutting. Very soon, the transients
supported him, and two other students (Teresa Jardim, from the Librarian
School and Marcos Saracol, from the Mathematics School) also climbed it.
In that time, during the dictatorship period, this fact constituted an
illegal and severe offense to the order instituted by the “exception
the defying attitude of the youngsters have soon impressed and touched the
transients, who have started to watch this unbelievable scene, and soon
started to request for the work interruption. During the events, the
Military Troops were called and transformed the avenue into a war stage.
Later, the Director of the Engineering School achieved to climb the tree
and has dealt with the students (he assured that the tree would remain and
that nothing would happen to them). At the end of the confusion, the
promise of the Municipal Secretary of Works that the tree would not be cut
was obeyed, but some journalists (who have been there reporting the events)
were spanked and two students were arrested to the frightening DOPS (Political
and Social Order Department).
tree is still there, as a symbol of resistance to a wild growth; and the
fact has created a consciousness in the city, which has broadened the
value and the space for environmental and social issues. (Porto Alegre was,
the first city to have a Municipal Environment Secretary in its
administrative structure. It has also planted an ever increasing number of
trees on its streets, becoming the capital with the highest tree density
April 25th, 1998, the serene engineer Carlos Alberto Dayrel has
returned to the city in order to be honored with the title of “Citizen
of Porto Alegre”, conferred by the Municipal Council.
(Source: Rio Grande do Sul: um século de história, Carlos
Urbim, Lucia Porto and Magda Achutti. Porto Alegre: Mercado Aberto,
1999, v. 2, p. 625-626).
at Marinha do Brasil Park:
the beginning the area of Marinha do Brasil Park (leveled at Guaíba Lake)
was presumed to become a residential area. Following this idea, Beira Rio
Avenue was built and inaugurated on December 27th, 1963.
Another law, promulgated on November 24th, 1967 has changed the
area purpose, into a project for a park, which has later become Marinha do
Brasil Park. Its design, won in a contest, was idealized by the architects
Rogério Malinsky and Ivan Mizoguchi. The area urbanization was made
within the Renaissance Project ambit,
which had directed, among
others, resources for the construction and restoration of several areas in
Menino Deus neighborhood and its surroundings. The park, with a 715
thousand square meter area, was
inaugurated in 1978 and it has, as its major features, a great number and
variety of sport equipments available for public use, including skate and
rollerblading rinks, which had become “very popular, many years later,
in other cities of the country. The park also has a mini-zoo and a huge
walking road for jogging and strolling.
Atlas Ambiental de Porto Alegre, coordinated by Rualdo Menegat, and
published by UFRGS, PMPA and INPE).
de Medeiros Avenue: 1
old way to the city southern area is becoming an important urban axis for
the service sectors, with the construction of several
public buildings, several hotels, company’s administrative
headquarters, gas stations, as well as
the amplification of Praia de Belas Mall (nowadays the second biggest in
the city). This important artery, which leads to neighborhoods like Menino
Deus, Morro Santa Tereza and Cristal, besides several others located in
the southern city, will dispute with Carlos Gomes Avenue (which is being
duplicated, according to the implementation of the 3rd
perimetral project) the primacy of attracting new investments in the
works of the old building of UFRGS tannery, which will become a University
buildings, which belong to the richest architectural and historical
patrimony of the city are being restored. The campus may become a new
touristic and business attraction in the State. Among several very
important buildings for the city history we can enumerate the old building
of the Engineering School, which is the oldest sample of the positivist
influence on the state; the monumental building of the old Medicine School,
which has changed the health history in the south region from 1924
on; building of the ancient Parobé Institute, which had an outstanding
role in the technical and industrialization teaching within the State.
Several individuals and entities are congregating efforts to restore these
buildings. The "veteran" UFRGS is one of the 5 most important
universities in Brazil, responsible for the
excellent performance in its graduation and post-graduation courses.
In its several life decades, it has formed
consecutive generations of students, who, nowadays,
actuate in important positions as in health, computer science,
public sector areas and others. It
had an important role in the implementation and consolidation of the
Petrochemical Pole in Triunfo (responsible for 3% of RS’ GNP) . Besides,
the coming of companies as General Motors, Dell Computers and Motorola, is
due to government efforts and, mainly to the gaúcho territory capacity
and mainly to its highly qualified human
resources (several other gaúchas universities are included : PUCRS,
UCS and UNISINOS).
order to access images of other UFRGS buildings and to obtain further
details on them and on the historical center restoration, click here.
blooming in Redenção Park:
XV cottage: 1
in honor to Gal. Osório, a hero of Paraguay War, in Alfândega Square: