DECEMBER 31ST, 2001:
CAPIVARI DO SUL-RS:
This species of tree is originated from India and its scientific name is bauhinia forficata. Its flowers are pink (and white, when it is pata-de-vaca-branca). The trees have sinuous stems and branched canopies.
DECEMBER 26th, 2001:
- Building of the new Hospital Dom Vicente Scherer, inaugurated on December 20th, 2001. It its the 7th hospital of Santa Casa de Porto Alegre Complex and the 1st Transplantation Center in Latin America: 1
- Beneficiência Portuguesa Hospital (the building was concluded in 1868) : 1
This church had its construction started in 1851 and concluded in 1880. At first, it was designed to be built in Gal. Osório square, better known as Alto da Bronze. The place was perfect, but the region already had other churches as Nossa Senhora das Dores. During this time, the city began to expand, and due to this the Sisterhood Nossa Senhora da Conceição, of Portuguese tradition decided to built it here, at the beginning of the present Independência Avenue. The church is still in its original shape and if it is restored it will constitute one of the most beautiful temples of the city.
– Conceição Viaduct: 1
This part of the street better known as "da praia" has formerly been the way of the city (at open sky), before the arrival of closed shopping centers. On the late afternoon, men of all ages remained there "talking nonsense”, and waiting for the procession of young girls; the boys and girls used to date there. In the 70s, the City Hall of Porto Alegre adhered at the fashion of transforming the busiest streets into "large sidewalks", forbidding the automobiles to circulate. Nevertheless, contrary to the forecast, this strategy has slowly taken away, the life and the "glamour". Recently, in an attempt of reviving the downtowns areas and of controlling the street commerce on the ways for pedestrians, the City Hall has reoriented the parking places and the conventional taxis and taxis- lotação (a mix of taxi and urban micro- bus) in order to occupy, reanimate and reorganize the original function of the streets, mainly at this part of the downtown area.
his species of trees, also known as tibuchinas, are native from RJ and SC; they have flowers in pink, lilac and white. The trees have straight stems and round canopies.
=> Other information on Canoas-RS: see on the site NUTEP/UFRGS
=> Other information on Novo Hamburgo-RS: see on the site NUTEP/UFRGS
The recently emancipated municipality (in 1996); is in a fast growing process; its economical basis are the shoe and agriculture implement industries. In few years, the City Hall paved and asphalted several urban streets, built a large health care center, a sport gymnasium and several other buildings. For those who come for the first time, the city impresses in a very positive way; its streets are clean and full of flowers, the public and communitarian buildings (as a little evangelic church) are carefully restored. The city has a big amount of trees of the species extremosa planted on the sidewalks and thus it is very beautiful at this period of the year with its lilac, pink and white color flowers (the latter are very rare in our environment).
=> Other information on Araricá-RS: see on the site NUTEP/UFRGS
Around this hill, the famous epopee of the Muckers took place. This story will be told soon: wait.
=> Other information on Sapiranga-RS: see on the site NUTEP/UFRGS
DECEMBER, 23RD, 2001 IMAGES:
Visit to the magical cities of Gramado, Canela and Nova Petrópolis, some days before 2001 Christmas:
It is such a charming town that (paraphrasing the poet Mário Quintana) even in dreams we can’t dream of it. Check these indescribable images of the city:
=> Other information on Gramado-RS: see on the site NUTEP/UFRGS
=> Other information on Canela-RS: see on the site NUTEP/UFRGS
=> Other information on Nova Petrópolis-RS: see on the site NUTEP/UFRGS
DECEMBER 22nd, 2001 IMAGES:
DECEMBER 16th, 2001 IMAGES:
Extremosa blooming on some city streets; the scientific name for this species of trees originated from India is lagerstroemia indica; the have very lively flowers, in shades of pink, lilac and white: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
DECEMBER 15th, 2001 IMAGES:
DECEMBER 7th, 2001 IMAGES:
- National Army installations: 1
- Installations of the STJ (Justice Court): 1
- Future installation of TST (Superior Labor Tribunal): 1
See again some previous images of Brasília-DF, taken on July 27th, 2001 by clicking here.
DECEMBER 04TH, 2001 IMAGES:
- Manduirana tree blooming, located at Redenção Park: 1
DECEMBER 2th, 2001 IMAGES:
This species is original from Brazil; its scientific name is Senna macranthera. It presents the following major features: yellow flower, short stem, ramified canopy and heavy pending branches.
- Starting section of Duque de Caxias Street, formerly named "Rua Formosa": 1
- Alto da Bronze Square: 1
The square’s official name is General Osório, patron of the Brazilian chivalry and a hero of Paraguay war. Nevertheless, this name appears only in the records, because the population just remembers the name “Alto da Bronze", originated from a resident of the area who did not have a good reputation among the “serious families”. Formerly, around 1850, the place was reserved for the construction of a church that has been built in another site, on Av. Independência, with the name of Conceição Church.
- Little castle on Vasco Alves: 1
The province president José Feliciano Fernandes Pinheiro, who was entitled as Viscount of São Leopoldo, has ordered the construction of the manor; the work was concluded in 1818. Later, the manor house was inhabited by the captain José Antônio Correa da Câmara, hero of the Paraguay War, and that was entitled as 2nd Viscount of Pelotas. Presently, the manor house belongs to the Legislative House that installed there its Research, Historical Documentation and Museum services.
The Cathedral project was designed by the Roman architect Giovani Batista Giovenale, who was an attaché at Saint Peter’s Basilica. For the design, the architect looked for inspiration in the Partasso Cathedral. Its architectural style derives from the Renaissance. The gigantic Indians’ heads who serve as a basis for the dome posts symbolize the former inhabitants of the region. The pink granite stones were extracted from a stone-pit in Teresópolis neighborhood.
The first stone was laid on August 7th, 1921, after the old church back had been demolished. The works were presided by the clergyman João Maria Balém, when the archidiaconate was directed by D. João Becker.
The cathedral is 80 m long and 47m wide. Its dome is 73.99 m high, with 18.0 m of diameter. The front towers are 50m high.
It occupies the building of the former Seminar, which had its works started in 1865, at the back of Matriz Church. There it was located a cemetery, dated from 1753, soon after the arrival of the firs inhabitants of the village. The building was built by the German architect Johann Grunewald ("master João").
- Former temporary headquarters of Palácio Piratini: 1
It had its works started in 1857 and concluded in 1871. In the beginning it was the Telegraph and Public Works Office; after the Arms Command and later, during the construction of Palácio Piratini (1909 to 1921), it served as a temporary head office for the State Government. It is being restored and will become the headquarters for the State Attorneys’.
- Palmeiro manor house: 1
- Castle on the Pólvora House Island:
Since long ago, the "pólvora house" permeates the imagination of the portoalegrenses, navigators and visitors who arrive at the city via Guaíba margins. The architectural set, composed by the gunpowder magazine, security house and country house, built in 1852, was recently restored, due to Pró-Guaíba project. The new space aggregates an incommensurable value for Porto Alegre and RS state. Soon, an Environmental Interpretation Center will function there, enabling the access of the gaúcha community to one of the most significant preservation areas in RS: the State Park Delta do Jacuí.
See these beautiful images, taken during a boat ride from Usina do Gasômetro to the island and back:
- Monument in honor to José Loureiro da Silva: 1
The monument was created by the gaúcho sculptor Antônio Caringi in honor of one of the most outstanding city administrators.
Loureiro da Silva was mayor of Porto Alegre during two mandates: from 1937 to 1942 and, after from 1960 to 1963. During these two administrations he created Farrapos, Salgado Filho, Ipiranga, João Pessoa, André da Rocha and Jerônimo de Ornelas roads; canalized the streamlet (Dilúvio); constructed the Pronto Socorro Hospital (Emergency Hospital); and started to build the 1st Avenida Perimetral, at the location where the monument in his honor is placed.
- Monument to Brigadier Sampaio: 1
The monument was inaugurated on August 19th, 1980, on the Square of the same name (better known as Praça da Harmonia), located at the beginning of Andradas street (better known as "Rua da Praia"). Formerly, the area was known as "Praça do Arsenal". It was in these surroundings that the Azorean couples established in 1752. Brigadier Sampaio is the Patron of the Brazilian Infantry; he was a hero of Tuiuty battle, during the war of Brazil with Paraguay.
- Siqueira Campos Street: 1
- Historical building on Andradas Street: 1
DECEMBER 1st, 2001 IMAGES:
- Royal Poincianas’ blooming season:
During this time of the year, this species start blooming. They are trees originated from Madagascar; its scientific name is Delonix regia and their flowers are in orange and coral shades, that constrast with the leaves’ green and the blue of the sky, in sunny days as today.
- Duque de Caxias Street: 1
It starts at the old "stone point" (present Usina do Gasômetro), passes by the "Alto da Bronze" (the highest area at the peninsula end, where presently it is located the square "Alto da Bronze", of which the name is Gal. Osório Square), by Matriz Square (officially named as Marshall Deodoro Square) and ends at "Portão Square" (officially named as Conde de Porto Alegre Square, near Santa Casa). Due to its geographical position, it became the most important street of the city, where the most outstanding institutions and people left their marks in the building and residence constructions.
In former times, some of its courses were known by several names, as "Rua Formosa", attributed to the starting section, "Gasômetro end" up to "Rua Clara" (presently named João Manoel); the central section was named "Rua da Igreja"; and the final course was named "Rua do Hospital" or "Rua do Hospício".
- Monument to the Count of Porto Alegre: 1
It is located in Conde de Porto Alegre Square, which formerly was named as Praça do Portão, because there was a gate, allowing to enter in the city surrounded by walls, that were put down soon after the end of Revolução Farroupilha, in 1845. The statue, in marble, was sculpted by A. Pittanti and Carlos Fossati; it constituted he first monument erected in a public square in Porto Alegre; it was inaugurated by the Princess Isabel on February 2nd, 1885, at Praça da Matriz. It was transferred to Portão Square in 1910.
"Count of Porto Alegre" was the title received by the general Manoel Marques de Souza, who stood out during the Farrapos and Paraguay Wars. It has ordered the construction of an impressive building on the corner of the present Riachuelo and Gen. Canabarro streets, which was concluded in 1860 (the building, which belongs to the State Historical Patrimony is being restored).
- Santa Casa Hospital: 1
During his visit to Porto Alegre , in July 1820, the biologist Auguste de Saint-Hilaire has made an interesting remark about the Hospital building, which was being constructed at that time:
Out of the city, on the top of the highest part of a hill, where it is built, it was started the construction of a hospital, of which the proportions are so big that probably it will not be finished soon; but its location was chosen with a unique adequacy, because it is very well aired, far from the city to avoid contamination and, at the same time, very close to all the resources for providing help of any kind to its patients.
This emerging neighborhood outstands for the educational level of its family heads. More than 655 have a university degree. Probably it is the highest neighborhood percentile in Brazil and Latin America.